[Distutils] Deviation between distutils and setuptools over package_data

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Sep 20 12:41:40 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:43:23PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 20 September 2013 00:02, Benjamin Root <ben.v.root at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I will point out that even with setuptools 1.1.6, sdist isn't picking up all
> > the files in version control, as I have a few other files under version
> > control in my package that I didn't list for package_data. So, I still think
> > there is an issue with crawling an SVN 1.7 repository.
>
> That part I have no idea about :)

I would recommend not relying on setuptools version control magic.
Instead write a MANIFEST.in.

<shameless_plug>
There are tools that make this process somewhat less painful:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/check-manifest
</shameless_plug>

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                                -- Bill Gates, 1981