[Distutils] Bootstrapping pip and setuptools

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 18 09:54:53 CEST 2013

Not sure whether this is interesting for anyone, but since I saw some
threads about bootstrapping pip and setuptools, I though I might
throw in a tool which does this.

For a while now, we've been making eGenix PyRun available, a Python
run time that fits into a single file on Unix:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

It's a great virtualenv replacement and doesn't rely on the system
provided Python installation.

Now, to make installation of PyRun even easier, we added an install
script called install-pyrun:

    https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

This script downloads the correct PyRun for the platform and
then goes on to bootstrap pip and setuptools fully automatically.
It does this by fetching the most recent versions of these tools
straight from PyPI, without relying on Python (or PyRun).

The script is a simple bash script and uses curl or wget for
the fetch operation, so you get certificate checking, HTTPS,
etc. for free.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 18 2013)
2013-09-11: Released eGenix PyRun 1.3.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go49
2013-09-20: PyCon UK 2013, Coventry, UK ...                 2 days to go
2013-09-28: PyDDF Sprint ...                               10 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/