[Distutils] Draft PEP for JSON based metadata published

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed May 29 16:14:33 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of significant upcoming changes:
>
> "build label" will be renamed as "source label" (since it refers to
> the common unbuilt source rather than a specific build)
> "version URL" will be renamed as "source URL" (same rationale)
>
> The current names are ambiguous as to whether they refer to the source
> code for the version or can be used to refer to built versions. Since
> they're specifically for source references (you need to add at least
> PEP 425 compatibility tags to construct a built reference), it makes
> sense to change the names.
>
> A more minor change is that the "organization" type/role for contacts
> will go away. Organization will be able to have any of the defined
> roles (author, maintainer, contributor) and if we later decide we need
> a programmatic means to distinguish abstract organisations from flesh
> and blood humans we can consider adding a new mechanism.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

"
Request the test extra to also install

test_requires
test_may_require
"

If test requirements are not actually extras then I would prefer
having no special-cased extra names at all, or a special extra-like
syntax used for pip-install'ing different categories of dependencies.

Is there a function to get the metadata keys from the category name?
It would be something like:

f('test') -> 'test_requires', 'test_may_require'

def f(category):

if category == 'install': category = ''
conditional = [category, 'may_require']
unconditional = [category, '_requires']
return ('_'.join(unconditional).strip('_'), '_'.join(conditional).strip('_'))