[Distutils] Self-contained boostrap scripts [was: Re: A new, experimental packaging tool: distil]

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 16:46:22 CET 2013

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> file.write(module.random_attribute.decode('base64')). The runnable zip
> feature is awesome, not well enough known, and totally worth promoting
> over the shar pattern; with some minimal tooling you'd be good to go.

Well, maybe the promoting would be better done by actually shipping something
this way that shows how well it works, rather than just talking about it. I
don't see that the user experience is any better with runnable zips, though I'm
not saying it's any worse. After that, it just comes down to individual developer
taste, and there's no accounting for that :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip