[Distutils] Builders vs Installers

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Mar 27 04:40:02 CET 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 10:49 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell the only things that even use PKG-INFO is setuptools/distribute and we want to phase them out of existence anyways.
>>
>> The only thing setuptools uses it for is to find out the version of a
>> package in the case where an .egg-info directory or filename doesn't
>> have a version in its filename... which normally only happens in the
>> "setup.py develop" case.  So no need to keep it around on my account.
>> ;-)
>>
>> (Some tools do check for the *existence* of a PKG-INFO, like PyPI's
>> sdist upload validation, and the various egg formats require a file
>> *named* PKG-INFO, but AFAIK nothing commonly used out there actually
>> *reads* PKG-INFO or gives a darn about its contents, except for that
>> version usecase mentioned above.)
>
> It will be OK. Take a deep breath and laugh at the idea that
> string.rsplit(', ', 1) on a useless field that's probably already
> posted as a dict to pypi should be considered a serious threat to the
> future of packaging. If you didn't laugh you can write Metadata 3.0 /
> define the JSON serialization and we'll write metadata.json into the
> .dist-info directory. It's not the end of the world, it is the
> beginning.

Yea, it's totally about keywords and that's just not an example of a larger problem (like embedding little mini json documents) and what we need is another competing standard all because of a legacy file format for a file that barely anything uses right now (which makes it the ideal time _to_ replace it, before it starts being actively used in a widespread fashion).

Donald Stufft