[Distutils] The pypa account on BitBucket

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:59:09 CET 2013

On 20 March 2013 18:01, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it is one of us, then it would need to be a group vote to use the pypa
>> "brand name" like this.
>> I'll try to get all the pypa people to come here and register their opinion.
>>
>> here's my personal thoughts:
>>
>> I understand the motivation to reuse our name, but probably less political
>> to start a new nifty short name.
>
> A big part of my role at this point is to take the heat for any
> potentially political or otherwise controversial issues (similar to
> the way Guido takes the heat for deciding what colour various
> bikesheds are going to be painted in the core language design - the
> "BDFL-Delegate" title was chosen advisedly).
>
> While we certainly won't do it if you're not amenable as a group, I'll
> be trying my best to persuade you that it's a good idea to turn your
> self-chosen name into official reality :)

I don't have a problem with the extension of the pypa "brand name" to
cover this, and I'm all in favour of pip and virtualenv being
sanctioned as the "official" answers in this space, I'd be a little
cautious over some of the administrative aspects of such a move,
though - consider if there's a sudden rush of people who want to
contribute to packaging documents - do we want them to have commit
rights on pip? Do we have different people committers on the github
and bitbucket repos? Not insurmountable issues, but worth considering.

Paul.