[Distutils] self.introduce(distutils-sig)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Mar 19 17:10:36 CET 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I just joined up after the various discussions at PyCon and wanted to say
>> hi. (If you were also there and want to put a face/voice to the name, I did
>> the Visual Studio demo at one of the lightning talks.)
>
> That was a very cool demo.
>
>> The main reason I want to get involved is the openly acknowledged lack of
>> Windows expertise that’s available. I work at Microsoft and part of my job
>> description is to contribute code/testing/time/documentation/help/etc. to
>> CPython. (I can also do testing/time/help for other projects, but
>> copyrightable artifacts are more complicated and, for now, not okay with our
>> lawyers.)
>>

>> I expect I’ll mainly be lurking until I can be useful, which is why I wanted
>> to start with this post. I’m pretty good with Windows, and I have direct
>> access to all the experts and internal mailing lists. So just shout out when
>> something comes up and I’ll be happy to clarify or research an answer.
>
> At the packaging panel, an issue was raised regarding issues with 32-bit and
> 64-bit windows packages. I don't remember the details.  Were you there?
> If not, maybe someone can describe the issue here.

IIRC the issue is that the installers generated by distutils and friends are specific to either 32bit or 64bit windows. If I recall from my windows days 64bit windows puts it's "I'm installed here" info in the registry under a different location than 32bit installers. So When you attempt to use a 32bit installer it looks in the 32bit location, finds nothing and claims Python isn't installed. This is coupled with the fact if people publish installers at all for Windows it's typically 32bit only.

I could of course be remembering wrong :)

> Also an idea, fwiw: it would be awesome if MS provided something like
> travis-ci that executed tests on windows for open-source projects
> hosted in github (and other places like bitbucket, which I prefer).
> Maybe projects would start sporting "Windows: passing" buttons. :)

Especially if this worked _with_ travis :)