[Distutils] pip merges wheel

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 00:48:04 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) pip is *currently* very much a build tool in that it build/installs from
> source archives, but I understand the new model is for pip to eventually be
> working with pre-built wheels much of the time, with no build system
> required.

I used the word "build tool" in the packaging summit, that was the wrong word.
My point is that is currently a tool to *install* distributions as
opposed to *create* distributions. I think it's best if it is kept
that way. I'd rather see the wheel command go into another tool used
to build distributions (and perhaps upload them to the cheeseshop).

[ I overheard the proposal to call such a tool "pup". ;-) ]

//Lennart