[Distutils] pip merges wheel

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 15:46:47 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> the pip docs have a cookbook entry now for the wheel support
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/cookbook.html#building-and-installing-wheels
>
> the usage reference is up to date as well
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/usage.html

Great news!

Given Glyph's questions, It may be a good idea to add a "publishing
wheels" entry to the cookbook, explaining:

1. After building the wheel, publishing it to PyPI means users on a
matching system can download and install it without building it
2. The current caveats on handling C extensions that are *wrappers*
around shared libraries/DLLs that are expected to be installed on the
target system, rather than CPython-only C extensions. (Specifically,
bundled DLLs on Windows should work just fine, but depending on system
binaries on *nix systems can cause problems if other users have the
right SO version installed, and bundling on *nix systems may require
tweaking of the environment to find the bundled SO instead of only
looking in the system paths)
3. Users currently need to add a "--use-wheel" flag to enable the
wheel support. It is expected that using wheels will become the
default behaviour in the feature, but we want it to be opt in until it
has seen some more widespread real word usage.

Cheers,
Nick.