[Distutils] buildout 1 still not managing to pin buildout to 1.x

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jun 12 03:32:08 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Fred Drake <fred at fdrake.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>> When in doubt, remove .installed.cfg and re-run buildout after any such
>> change.
>
> So the real question is:  Why doesn't bootstrap.py just do this?

Because it's not just an optimization and removing .installed.cfg prevents
cleanup that might be desirable.  Removing it as part of bootstrap seems too
magic for me.

I'd rather:

- Error if there's a .installed.cfg

- adding a --force option that tries to uninstall and then removed
  .instaled.cfg.

> I've stumbled on this many times as well; I don't see an advantage to
> this not being handled by the bootstrap, because it will surprise us
> eventually.

It rarely surprises me.

> Some of us (include me, apparently) are more easily surprised than others.

No kidding. ;)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton