[Distutils] wxPython and wx

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:47:17 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Packages are allowed to have the same module names as other packages.
>> In this case it's a bit unfortunate, but it should reasonably have
>> been quickly solved by uninstalling the wx package?
>>
>> //Lennart
>
> It wasn't easy figuring out I needed to type "sudo pip uninstall wx" to fix
> wx. A python beginner would have had a terrible time with this.

I expect a beginner would have read steps on how to install wxPython
and hence not installed wx by mistake. :-)

The fundamental problem here is of course that wxPython has chosen to
have different names for package and module, which is an unfortunate
choice. If the wxPython maintainers want to rename the package wx,
that would solve the problem.

> I realize we don't want to start squat-wars. But pypi's wx is a 5 liner that
> absolutely no person would ever want installed. At the least, pip should
> warn me when I install "wx" that it's probably not what I'm looking for.

There's no way for pip to know that.

//Lennart