[Distutils] Migrating Hashes from MD5 to SHA256

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 28 14:31:55 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> I'm going to go ahead and make this change unless someone comes out and
> contests moving PyPI to SHA256. I'll give it a bit to make sure no one does
> have an issue with the move.

Your proposal is a little light on specification, unless I've missed it. For
example:

* How exactly will download URLs change? One would assume they'd have a
  fragment of 'sha256=...', where they currently have 'md5=...', but can you
  confirm this?

* PyPI's XML-RPC API provides MD5 hashes in result dictionaries using a key
  'md5_digest'. How will these result dictionaries change under your
  proposal?

* PyPI's web interface has actions such as 'show_md5', will these stop
  working? (By actions, I mean query strings such as ':action=show_md5'.)
  Will new actions be added?

I'm not familiar with the change process for PyPI - what is the workflow?
For example, are patches posted for review?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip