[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 19:28:10 CEST 2013

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Getting rid of an executable build script is no longer a goal. Builds
> inherently need that often. But we don't want people extending distutils
> against their will.

Perhaps I should have been clearer - I meant "executable setup.py install",
and as I understand it, it is a goal to get rid of that.

Regarding "executable setup.py build", that's less of an issue than for
installing, but IIUC, it is still not ideal. Many of the hacks that people
have made around distutils/setuptools relate to building, not just
installing, or am I wrong?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip