[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 11 16:52:06 CEST 2013

On Jul 11, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> I'm just not seeing the downside. We control the stdlib and pip, so we know the expected interaction and we are purposefully using the override mechanics so it's not going to get messed up by us if we consciously use it (and obviously have tests for it).

I don't think it's especially a problem for pip. I think Daniel was just speaking how the behavior you suggested we could exploit to make this happen has been a major issue for namespace packages in the past using the other methods.

However I'm not sure how it's going to work… python -m pip is going to import the pip namespace package yes? And then when pip is installed it'll shadow that, but in the original process where we ran python -m pip won't the namespace package have been cached in sys.modules already?

Donald Stufft