[Distutils] pip/easy_install mercurial in virtualenv on Python 3.3

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Feb 25 18:43:51 CET 2013

On 02/25/2013 10:31 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
> On 25.02.13 17:47, Carl Meyer wrote:
>> On 02/25/2013 05:27 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>>> Why does it ignore the otherwise clear distinction between python and
>>> python3 ?
>> When Vinay ported virtualenv to Python 3, we made the decision that
>> since virtualenvs generally have exactly one Python interpreter of one
>> version, that it would be less surprising if every virtualenv always had
>> a "python", regardless of 2v3. I don't know for sure if that was the
>> right choice or not.
>
> Well, I'm struggling quite a bit with that and would love to at least have
> the option to keep things uniquely named, the same way as the
> system pythons are.

I think the best argument for keeping the current behavior as the
default is the potential confusion of having a virtualenv activated,
typing "python", and getting an interpreter from outside the virtualenv.
I think this confusion would likely be more common, if that change were
made, than the reverse that you are hitting now.

Carl