[Distutils] pip/easy_install mercurial in virtualenv on Python 3.3

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Feb 25 17:54:05 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

On 02/25/2013 07:48 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
> After looking into "pip help install", I tried to run
>
> (venv) $ pip install mercurial --install-option="--c2to3"

Yes, this should be the correct way to pass an option directly to
Mercurial's setup.py.

> Now the crazy effect is:
>
> Installing collected packages: mercurial
>   Running setup.py install for mercurial
>     --c2to3 is only compatible with python3.
>
> Pretty confusing... ;-)

Indeed. You did this within a Python 3 virtualenv? I don't know how it
is possible that Mercurial's setup.py is being executed with Python 2,
if you "pip install" it from within a Python 3 virtualenv. You could
make your own modified Mercurial tarball with a "print sys.executable"
in setup.py and then try to "pip install" that tarball and see what it says?

> Is this the right place to ask this question?

Yes.

Carl