[Distutils] Buildout 2 and system packages

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Feb 24 23:35:50 CET 2013

Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> writes:

> I'm missing something. Bootstrap and buildout grab distributions off
> pypi for what it needs. All that stuff ends up in the "eggs/"
> directory. So where/how exactly does it look for system packages?
>
> My bin/buildout normally looks something like this:

Yes, mine too. But I started the thread talking about scripts
*installed* by bin/buildout, not about itself

If instead the question was actually "what injects in the scripts' list
of required distributions the system packages global directory".

> The only way I know to get buildout to search the system for packages
> (instead of grabbing them themselves) is to use a special recipe like
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/syseggrecipe
>
> What am I missing?

Uhm, never used syseggrecipe actually, only zc.recipe.egg. I wonder if
the two should be merged: could it be possible for zc.recipe.egg grow a
new "filter-out-these-paths", and maybe a "prepend-these-paths" options
for a better control of the generated scripts "sys.path"?

ciao, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.