[Distutils] Buildout 2 and system packages

Ralf Schmitt ralf at systemexit.de
Fri Feb 22 17:11:00 CET 2013

Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> writes:

>> but I'm curious about the position of the “dist-packages† in the
>> list:
>>
>> 1) why does it ends in the middle?
>
> The paths are listed in the order that the corresponding distributions
> are found when satisfying requirements.  So paths corresponding to the
> requirements you list will tend to appear earlier than the paths
> corresponding to their requirements, and so on.
>
> In some system installs, many system-installed distributions end
> up in the same path.

But that's a reason why the site-packages should be moved to the end of
the paths that are prepended to sys.path:

When pinning a package to a specific version, it may end up *not* being
used, because site-packages has the same package with a different
version. If site-packages is at the end, that problem goes away.

Can this be implemented or is there a technical reason for not doing it?

--
Cheers
Ralf