[Distutils] PEP 426 updated (with more than you ever wanted to know about version schemes)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:01:32 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> I agree with that.  The hook could be one or two new header fields in the PKG-INFO
> file, with a PEP that describes those keys and how the builder is invoked and what
> it is supposed to do. Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> Something like:
>
> Extension: pepYYY-builder
> pepYYY-builder/dist: bento (>=1.1)
> pepYYY-builder/build: bento.builder:run

I'm actually thinking the top level script approach isn't a bad
builder API, it's the "commands" architecture legacy of distutils
that's a concern.

The standard hook could start out as simple as "./sdist2wheel.py
<destination_dir>", with any builder specific settings passed as
extension fields or in a separate builder-specific metadata file.

if you wanted to mess with the build process beyond the basics
supported by the standard hook, you would need to know which specific
builder is involved and make the appropriate direct invocation instead
of going through sdist2wheel.

Cheers,
Nick.