[Distutils] New draft of PEP 426

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 22:37:13 CET 2013

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> With Donald Stufft's assistance, I've created a new draft of PEP 426.
> For the moment I'm listed as a co-author and no longer as
> BDFL-Delegate - there's a separate discussion on python-dev about
> that.

Still digesting the draft, but I notice that there's no specific provision for
identifying dependencies that are only needed for tests (such as, say, nose).
Distribute/setuptools distinguish between three types of dependency: setup,
install and test. The benefit of keeping the test dependencies separate from the
setup dependencies is that they needn't be downloaded unless you're going to run
tests. Would it make sense to add a Test-Requires-Dist multiple-use field?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip