[Distutils] Install a script to <prefix>/sbin instead of <prefix>/bin

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 13:18:39 CET 2013

On 7 December 2013 11:14, Michael Jansen <info at michael-jansen.biz> wrote:
> And then setting those variables in cross platform compatible ways.

Well, OK, but there may not *be* a "cross platform compatible" answer
- we could set sbin to the same as bin on Windows, but www is probably
inside the Apache installation (or somewhere arbitrary if the user has
configured things to non-default) on Windows, so there's no way Python
can know this.

The whole point here is that FHS gives you a way of naming things
consistently, on a platform where absolue paths are the norm. On
Windows, *relative* paths are the norm (often relative to the
application installation directory by default) and applications' files
are isolated from each other much more strongly. FHS doesn't really
make sense in such an environment.

But as I say, I don't have a problem with what you're doing as a POSIX
solution. I just don't think we want to get into the huge
cross-platform filesystem layout issue here. Just accept that it's not
Windows-compatible and move on :-)

Paul