[Distutils] Handling the binary dependency management problem

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 22:44:01 CET 2013

On 3 December 2013 21:34, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anoconda (the distribution  seems to address this by having conda packages
>> that are essentially containers for the shared libs, and other packages that
>> need those libs depend on them. I like this method, but it seems to me to be
>> more a feature of the Anoconda distribution than the conda package manager
>> -- in fact, I've been thinking of doing this exact same thing with binary
>> wheels -- I haven't tried it yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work.
>

> 3 or 4 us now have mentioned curiosity in converting anaconda packages to
> wheels (with specific interest in the non-python lib dependencies as
> wheels).
> Anyone who tries this, please post your success or lack thereof.  I'm pretty
> curious.

I couldn't find a spec for the conda format files. If it's documented
somewhere I'd be happy to try writing a converter. But it'd be useless
for Python 3.3 on Windows because the conda binaries are built against
the wrong version of the C runtime. Might be interesting on other
platforms, though.

Paul