[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 17:16:10 CEST 2013

On 22 August 2013 16:04, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The next step is up to the pip folks - if they think adopting distlib
> wholesale makes sense for them, fine, I have no direct say in that. If
> they decide to make a "piplib" instead, to expose a public API for an
> updated version of pip's own infrastructure (perhaps derived from
> distlib), that's fine by me, too.

For what it's worth, we currently have a vendored copy of distlib bundled
into pip but (a) it's pretty out of date now and (b) we only make minimal
use of it - in particular we do not use it for any of the wheel support at
the moment.

I don't have any feel for what we might do going forward - I suspect we'll
wait until the dust settles a bit on the whole issue in distutils-sig
before trying to make a decision.

For virtualenv, I have a longer-term plan to switch to bundling pip and
setuptools wheels instead of sdists, but again I don't plan on rushing into
a decision on how I'll do that.
Paul