[Distutils] What does it mean for Python to "bundle pip"?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 15:52:52 CEST 2013

On 22 August 2013 12:57, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I think that the installer ships variants for each architecture and
>> decides at install time which to place on the target system. If that's
>> the case then would it be possible for a wheel to ship all variants so
>> that a post-install script could sort it out (rename/delete) after the
>> wheel is installed?
>
> It's not just about the architecture on the target system, it's also about
> e.g. what libraries are installed on the target system. Files like
> numpy/__config__.py and numpy/distutils/__config__.py are created at build
> time, based on local conditions, and those files would then be written to
> the wheel. On the installation machine, the environment may not be
> compatible with those configurations computed on the build machine. Those
> are the things I was talking about which may need moving from build-time to
> run-time computations.

I'm pretty sure the current Windows installer just doesn't bother with
BLAS/LAPACK libraries. Maybe it will become possible to expose them
via a separate wheel-distributed PyPI name one day. That would help
since they're currently not very easy to setup/build on Windows but
the same sse etc. issues would apply to them as well.

For now just leaving out BLAS/LAPACK is probably okay. apt-get doesn't
bother to install them for numpy either (on Ubuntu). It will set them
up properly if you explicitly ask for them though.

Oscar