[Distutils] What to do about the PyPI mirrors

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 09:47:38 CEST 2013

On 6 August 2013 17:30, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 3:20 AM, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
>> See above. He did that, and the PyPI maintainers will break it.
>
> I don't think anyones claimed that removing the names won't break things for
> people who directly referenced them, but it's an important step that we do that.

Right, but I think it's one where we can offer responsive mirror
maintainers a generous time frame. We're down to only 5 mirrors using
the *.pypi.python.org naming scheme anyway, so we should probably
include contacting the maintainers directly in the transition plan.

That makes the process:

- we immediately stop handing out any new *.pypi.python.org mirror
names (this has effectively happened already, the PEP will just be
making it official)
- the operators of the 5 current *.pypi.python.org mirrors are
contacted directly, informing them of the plan to deprecate and remove
those domain names, and offering the choice of two alternatives:

    1. After 2 months (or earlier if requested), the domain name is
redirected to the PyPI CDN and the mirror is effectively retired. 2
months after the release of pip 1.5, the name is removed entirely
    2. The mirror operator establishes a 301 redirect to a HTTPS
capable domain name they control and negotiates the time frame for
retirement and removal of the *.pypi.python.org domain record with the
PSF infrastructure team

- after two months, last.pypi.python.org and any *.pypi.python.org
mirror names which didn't request option 2 above are redirected to the
CDN
- two months after the release of pip 1.5, last.pypi.python.org and
any *.pypi.python.org mirror names which didn't request option 2 above
are removed from the DNS
- the exact time frames for option 2 above will be worked out
individually with the mirror operators that request it (that would be
at least Christian for f.pypi.python.org, and perhaps some of the
other mirror operators if they also choose option 2)

Cheers,
Nick.