[Distutils] Last PEP 426 update for a while

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 3 20:42:23 CEST 2013

PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> And not quite the former, either; the same arguments about not
> splitting a distribution apply to modules as well.  i.e., a single
> module might consume exports from more than one group, so saying they
> should correspond is too strong; I would say instead that export group
> names are dotted names that should be *prefixed* with the name of a
> package or module provided by the relevant distribution.

You're right - I was being a little sloppy, but that was my understanding
(i.e. the emphasis on prefixes).

> (Of course, it's also perfectly fine for one to use a domain name or
> other similarly-unique prefix; the real point is just that top-level
> names should be reserved for groups defined by the stdlib and/or PEPs,
> and everybody else should be using unique prefixes that give some
> indication where one would look for a spec.)

Right, though it's probably enough to just use a module name which is "unique"
to the distribution. Of course, nothing prevents two completely unrelated
distributions having a top-level module "foo", but in that case any ambiguity
in export names is probably the least of the worries of someone who installs
two such conflicting distributions.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip