[Distutils] Towards a bandersnatch release - updates, PIP, contacting mirror owners

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sun Apr 7 22:01:07 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 20:43 +0200, Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spend some more time on bandersnatch and I'm ready for a stable
> release, I guess.
>
> Updates
> ------------
>
> * Add a specific user agent to XML-RPC and plain HTTP calls
> * Add a specific user agent to the logging to support debugging
> * Provide a default (10s) network timeout and a config option to customize
> * Clean up README
>
> PIP
> ---
>
> I'd be happy to cut a release now. Holger Krekel asked me whether I
> could ensure that bandersnatch is pip installable. Looking through
> the PIP documentation I don't see how I can make a simple "pip
> install bandersnatch" repeatable.
>
> Especially if someone would run a public mirror I would prefer if
> they would use an installation method that makes their deployment
> repeatable. From my own experience and background I would prefer
> buildout in the following style:
>
> $ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/ctheune/bandersnatch
> $ cd bandersnatch
> $ hg co 1.0
> $ virtualenv-2.7 .

As to installability, why not:

  $ bin/python setup.py install
  $ bin/bandersnatch

now? You'd need to import from setuptools instead of
distutils to get the install_requires=[dep1,dep2,...] metadata
interpreted correctly.  Also, uploading a 1.0 release to pypi
would allow to say "pip install bandersnatch" instead of getting
the hg repo and the setup.py install command.

cheers,
holger