[Distutils] Towards a bandersnatch release - updates, PIP, contacting mirror owners

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Apr 7 20:43:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

I spend some more time on bandersnatch and I'm ready for a stable
release, I guess.

Updates
------------

* Add a specific user agent to XML-RPC and plain HTTP calls
* Add a specific user agent to the logging to support debugging
* Provide a default (10s) network timeout and a config option to customize
* Clean up README

PIP
---

I'd be happy to cut a release now. Holger Krekel asked me whether I
could ensure that bandersnatch is pip installable. Looking through the
PIP documentation I don't see how I can make a simple "pip install
bandersnatch" repeatable.

Especially if someone would run a public mirror I would prefer if they
would use an installation method that makes their deployment
repeatable. From my own experience and background I would prefer
buildout in the following style:

$ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/ctheune/bandersnatch
$ cd bandersnatch
$ hg co 1.0
$ virtualenv-2.7 .
$ bin/python bootstrap.py
$ bin/buildout
$ bin/bandersnatch

Thoughts?

Contacting mirror owners

All this work is directed towards getting the existing official mirrors
back to a "green bar" situation soon. Can someone help me contact the
existing mirror owners to convince them to switch tools?

Also, I'd be happy to run a couple vhosts around the world to extend
the network if some people throw in some money (gittip?)

Cheers,
Christian