[Distutils] buildout 2 craziness: bootstrap.py doesn't do enough

Chris Withers chris at python.org
Fri Apr 5 17:36:40 CEST 2013

On 05/04/2013 12:15, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Check develop-eggs/, there may be a distribute.egg-link file that puts
> /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> in your sys.path.
>
> When in doubt, rm -rf develop-eggs before retrying.

Well, this worked.

My guess as to what happened: I was using python2.7 (which is EPD,
containing a tonne of packages including an older version of xlrd).

Since that xlrd was getting picked instead of the one in the develop
line (wasn't that bug supposed to be fixed in buildout 2?!) I switched
to python2.6, which I knew was clean.

It sounds like I should have had the prescience (!) to do:

rm -rf develop-eggs/ .installed.cfg

...before I did:

python2.6 bootstrap.py

*sigh*

At times like this (when I've just wasted 1.5hrs chasing my tail) I
really truly hate buildout :-(

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk