[Distutils] distlib updated with resources API

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 18:43:40 CEST 2012

Tarek Ziadé <tarek <at> ziade.org> writes:

> I would just leave it in hg.python.org and drop any single author
> header, and
> have the project driven by the community under the PSF governance.
>
> If we want to thank contributors like you or me or anyone that helped in
> this code
> base we can always maintain a CONTRIBUTORS.txt file.
>
> What I'd like to avoid is distlib becoming a project that's owned/driven
> by a single
> person -- even if in the current effort you are the person that is
> contributing
> and driving things.

Well, my focus here is certainly not on ownership, but I generally add
copyright notices to all the software I produce as a matter of course. If all
it takes is an additional "Licensed to the PSF through a Contributor
Agreement" to regularise things, I'll certainly do that. But the only way it can
be a multi-person project is for multiple people to get practically involved on
a day-to-day level.

I might seem to driving the project right now, but that's only an illusion
due to the fact that I've got spare bandwidth at the moment to think about
how things could work, and write some code, docs and tests. Other priorities
might intervene at any point, so I certainly agree that the project shouldn't
have a low bus factor. Contributors welcome! Just form an orderly line :-)

> I just think it's important that this project stays under the python-dev
> umbrella
> as the "official" subproject of packaging/distutils2 to have a smoother
> transition later - and have you as its de-facto maintainer.

Hmmm ... holy grail, or poisoned chalice? ;-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip