[Distutils] distlib updated to include "entry point" functionality

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 23:14:51 CEST 2012

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would prefer to keep the filename the same as long as the format is
> the same.

See my comments about read_registry and write_registry methods in Distribution

> In other words, it is a hassle and the feature is the same. An
> entry_point is always an entry_point. It should no sooner be confused
> with an English "point of entry" than keywords like "print" should be
> confused with pressing books.

What do *you* mean by entry point? My understanding is that it represents the
start of some executable code. Wikipedia:

"In computer programming, an entry point is a memory address, corresponding to a
point in the code of a computer program which is intended as the destination of a
long jump, be it internal or external."

So, in the Python sphere, I would interpret an entry point to be a callable.
While that might be the most common usage of the feature, it's not the only one.
For example, you could use name = value entries where value is not a callable,
but for example a name of a resource to use for something, or a configuration
option, or the name of a package or a module (which is not an entry point by my
understanding of entry points being callables).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip