[Distutils] [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Mar 26 16:45:28 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:
>> That'll work just fine, as long as the new buildout
>> puts the magic into its top level __init__.py and has no other code
>> there.
>
> No, it won't. You can't count on the order that namespace packages get
> scanned, so you really can't have code in __init__.py if you want to
> count on it getting installed.

That's my point. As long as every buildout/__init__.py contains the
setuptools namespace code and nothing else, all is fine. So as long as
the new buildout distribution does the same, it'll all work.

I'm not aware of any problems with having modules directly inside a
namespace package. So a buildout/easy_install.py should be importable
via "from buildout import easy_install".

Hanno