[Distutils] Self Introduction and Getting Hands On

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:58:10 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> But IIRC when the package is downloaded, the metadata are built in-place, and the installer may visit the home url for example that's in setup.py, no ?
pip at least, and I assume easy_install doesn't use the home url etc links from
inside of the setup.py. PyPI takes that data and places it on the simple index
page and pip looks at that simple index page and finds all the urls it can to spider.
So removing urls from the simple index page effectively removes external linking.

The only time that's not true is if there a dependency_links inside of setup.py but
that is rarely used.