[Distutils] Installing to c:\Program Files\

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:01:27 CET 2012

Hi!

Is the distutils system suited for installation of a python program to a
subfolder of c:\Program Files\ ?

I can generate an msi file using the bdist_msi method, but the resulting msi
installer puts the files in c:\python27\lib\site-packages (or something like that).

My python program basically consists of a python script, two python modules and
some text files. None of this should be available to other python programs, so I
want it all to be installed in a subdirectory of Program Files. This makes
sense, right?

The program itself is already capable to be launched from any folder.

Can distutils create an msi file for my python program that does what I want? Or
should I use some other tool? I want to create an installer that uses the
Windows "Add/Remove programs" system, and hopefully allows upgrading to newer
program versions without leaving multiple versions installed.

Thanks,
Torquil Sørensen