[Distutils] Struggling with a modular buildout configuration

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Aug 19 15:01:44 CEST 2012

> can you provide an example that would illustrate the problem? The file
> you submitted fails because projects do not include setup.py. I would
> advise to use zc.buildout 1.6.0 and see if issue persists.

Sure, I added minimalistic setup.py to both subprojects:

  http://artiemestieri.tn.it/~lele/test-buildout-2.tar.gz

As is, executing a buildout (btw, using latest 1.6.1 now), I get:

    $ buildout
    Creating directory '/tmp/test-zcb/bin'.
    Creating directory '/tmp/test-zcb/parts'.
    Creating directory '/tmp/test-zcb/develop-eggs'.
    Develop: '/tmp/test-zcb/src/proj2'
    Installing extra-parts-from-proj2.

Note it does not even mention anything from proj1, even if it is surely

    $ buildout annotate | grep proj1
    proj1
    +=  /tmp/test-zcb/src/proj1/devel.cfg
    +=  /tmp/test-zcb/src/proj1/base.cfg

and it does not install the [python] recipe neither...

If I comment out the last line in the top level projects.cfg, the one
that includes the proj2/devel.cfg, I get:

    $ buildout
    Develop: '/tmp/test-zcb/src/proj1'
    Running uninstall recipe.
    Installing python.
    Generated interpreter '/tmp/test-zcb/bin/python'.

This time it installed the [python] recipe, and effectively

    $ bin/python -m project1
    Hello from project1

with the extra package too:

    $ bin/python -c "import faker; print faker.__version__"
    0.0.4

So, it really seems that loading the projX extension clobbers the
previous settings, but I cannot see what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a lot for your time, and for any enlightenment :-)
ciao, lele.

PS: I won't be able to follow the group for the next two weeks as I'm
taking a long awaited vacation.