[Distutils] command hooks...

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sun Apr 22 07:45:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

> After the sprint and you release Distutils2-1.0a5, would you also
> update the version_info too?  If you import distutils2, and then
> distutils2.version_info, you get a3 not a4?
I forgot to update distutils2.__version__ when I cut my first release :)
 Now I will remember it.

> I will re-download Python-3.3.0a2 and re-install it without the
> extra diff file...
Yeah, editing a real installation to test things is fragile.  Better use
a Mercurial clone that is not installed and that lets you revert
changes.  Help is found at http://docs.python.org/devguide .

> I am more than willing to do testing of the patch for you if you would
> like?  Is there a way for me to get svn or git access to the
> developmental version of Distutils2?
hg clone http://hg.python.org/distutils2
I haven’t finished my patch because I ended up fixing too many things at
once: hooks need to add the project directory to sys.path, hooks errors
should result in warnings but not stop all operation, and maybe another
bug.  I need to split that into smaller changes.

Do you have a user account on bugs.python.org?  Now that I know that
you’re willing to test things or give your opinion as a user (thanks!),
if you create an account it will makes it easy to add you to a bug
discussion.

> What would I do in Linux to add my directory to the permanent
> $PYTHONPATH???
Many ways to do that, but it is not a correct solution here.  When you
run pysetup, it should put the project directory in sys.path without the
user having to do anything (and with my patch it does).

> Is there access to the bug tracker for simply Distutils2 only?  I
> would like to see it and start getting familiar with the Distutils2
> code???
The bug tracker has categories, called components, and there is one for
d2: http://is.gd/mFZfqo .  Some of the bugs are tagged “easy” to mean
that they are good introductory bugs for people wanting to work on d2.
I also intend to write more wiki pages or blog posts to explain how the
codebase is laid out and internally works to reduce the bus factor of d2.

Best regards