[Distutils] Installing the dependencies in the develop egg setup.py

Guruprasad lgp171188 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:29:17 CEST 2011

Hi,
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Maurits van Rees
<m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
> Op 30-08-11 11:50, L. Guruprasad schreef:

> You should have a line 'sources = sources' in the [buildout] section,
> otherwise the [sources] section is not used (unless that is the default, but
> explicit may be better than implicit here).  When you run buildout do you
> actually get a 'src/<project name>' directory?

'wsb' is the name of the project. By default, the 'mr.developer'
extension checks out the source code under 'src' folder. Also by
default, it checks out the sources mentioned under the 'sources'
section. The 'sources' option in the 'buildout' section is to change
that default to something else.

> It looks to me like src/wsb is not actually used.  You tell buildout that it
> can find a development package in src/wsb if it wants to, but I do not see a
> section that actually wants to use a package with that name.

Here is my buildout.cfg
<snip>
[buildout]
extensions = mr.developer
auto-checkout = wsb
develop = src/wsb
eggs = wsb
parts = django

[sources]
wsb = hg <repository URL>

[django]
recipe=djangorecipe
projectegg = wsb
extra-paths = src/
settings = settings

</snip>

> Or is 'wsb' the same as 'project name'?

Yes, wsb is the name of the project.

> Is 'projectegg' the correct spelling in djangorecipe?  I see this in a
> buildout config I have here:
>
> [django]
> recipe = djangorecipe
> version = 1.2.4
> settings = production
> eggs =
>    ${buildout:eggs}
> project = projectname
> wsgi = true

djangorecipe automatically installs django and creates a default
django project by the name 'project'. The setting 'project' is used to
change the name of that default project that gets created. Here I
don't want a default project to be created and instead want to use an
existing develop egg, so the 'projectegg' setting can be used to
specify that to djangorecipe.

When I run buildout with this buildout.cfg, everything works fine and
djangorecipe sees the checked out develop egg that mr.developer
downloaded from my repository and sets the bin/django command
appropriately. But my problem here is that the dependencies mentioned
in the setup.py of the develop egg don't get installed automatically.

Thanks & Regards,
Guruprasad