[Distutils] More Re: Compatibility of bdist_rpm with Fedora packaging instructions

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Sat Nov 12 13:56:52 CET 2011

Tarek -

I realized that I needed to install distutils2 to run pypi2rpm, downloaded
and installed a distutils2 rpm, and tried to build rpm packages of the
systems I'm working on.  I downloaded the pypi sdists of the packages and
tried to run rpms of them.

The source includes image files as well as Python code.  I'm running into
a problem where the image directories are failing to be packaged.  They
are included in the pypi sdists, but don't get into the rpms.

Any ideas on how to get the image files into the rpm packages using
distutils2 and pypi2rpm?

Thanks.

Stan Klein

On Thu, November 10, 2011 5:06 am, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Paul Nasrat <pnasrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think bdist_rpm should track vendor packaging requirements,
purely as those recommendations may change faster than the release
process of distutils. I also believe bdist_rpm may be going away in the
future:

> Yes I confirm this. We removed it in packaging because we believe it
should be maintained by the RPM communities -- with their own release
cycles etc.

> FWIW I have a custom version in the pypi2rpm project where I just feed a
.spec file to the bdist_rpm command, so I can do proper RHEL or Fedora
packaging.

>> For Fedora have you considered rpmdev-newspec which can creates a
templated python spec file for your packages.

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On 8 November 2011 21:40, Stanley A. Klein <sklein at cpcug.org> wrote:
>>> I will need to build some Python packages for Fedora and Centos.  The
spec
>>> file produced by bdist_rpm automatically includes the statement %files
-f INSTALLED_FILES

>>> The Fedora Python packaging instruction includes a recommendation to
avoid
>>> use of INSTALLED_FILES and provides some alternatives.  That is the first
>>> incompatibility I've encountered, but there may be more.
>>>
>>> The bdist_rpm code probably should be changed to enable compatibility.
Meanwhile, is there a workaround?