[Distutils] Distribute without 2to3

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Tue Jun 21 15:57:29 CEST 2011

On 06/21/2011 03:13 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Benchmarker - failed to recognize --single-version-externally-managed
--single-version-externally-managed is a setuptools option IIRC.

I've looked at its setup.py and found this:

if arg1 == 'egg_info':
     from ez_setup import use_setuptools
     use_setuptools()
if arg1 == 'bdist_egg':
     from setuptools import setup
else:
     from distutils.core import setup

So it is probably recognized as a setuptools project by pysteup3 (in
packaging.util) but then uses bare distutils, which doesn't have the
--single-version-managed option.

Maybe in this case (when the call to setup.py --single--...) fails, we
can fallback onto bare distutils install on packaging.install ?

--
Alexis