[Distutils] easy_install installing beta version of psycopg2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 12:30:27 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:57 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, even if I fixed that today, it wouldn't have ANY effect on
> 99% of the field installations of any Python package management tools: there
> are still people using 4 or 5 year old versions of easy_install,

That's not a good argument imo. If we stop doing any enhancements to
installers because some people use old versions, we will never do
anything. The people that complain about a behavior in a 4 years-old
installer, that was changed/fixed since then, know they can update.

> and a lot
> of people use Distribute (via their OS install), which is a year behind the
> setuptools trunk on various things.

If you really believe this statement is true, let us know what are the
"various things" so we can fix them for everyone's benefit.

As a reminder, the current situation in packaging tools is as follows :

- Setuptools development is stalled -- see the attached diagram
- Distribute development is now also stalled.
- People that used to work on Distribute are now working on Distutils2

I think there are a few things we should all do today to make things better:

1. make sure anything that gets fixed in Setuptools is backported in Distribute
2. stop adding new features in Distribute, or minimal things. I think
the py3 support by itself justifies that Distribute should be
preferred to Setuptools in OSes.
3. focusing on consolidating the first version of Distutils2

Could you help on 1. ?

..

> Pip is the main package manager that uses its own link-finding algorithm,
> but it only supports source installation AFAIK.  Distutils2 uses a
> link-finding algorithm that was lifted pretty much verbatim from
> easy_install, though I think there may have been some additions to it since
> I last looked at it.

We plan to prefer the final versions, and let the user decides if she
wants to use betas, devs etc. Contributions/Feedback/Advices are
welcome.

Cheers
Tarek

--