[Distutils] dependencies, pip and non-PyPI-hosted packages

Ernesto Posse eposse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:02:58 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 02:00 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:
>> At 04:54 PM 4/22/2011 -0500, Carl Meyer wrote:
>>> No, it is calling the distribute setup. If you look at how your package
>>> is installed, you'll find it in an egg - that's a sure sign of
>>> setuptools/distribute. It's just that "python setup.py install" does not
>>> handle dependencies, even with setuptools/distribute.
>>
>> Uh, yes it does, actually.  (At least with setuptools, it does; don't
>> know about distribute.)
>
> Erp. Yeah, you're right; just verified that it works fine with both
> setuptools and distribute. Dunno where I got that idea.
>
> Carl

I'm confused now. I have tried both with setuptools alone (using
ez_setup.py instead of distribute_setup.py) and distribute, and it
doesn't work with distribute alone for me: it doesn't install the
dependencies and gives me those warnings about 'install_requires' not
being recognized.

Any ideas about what could be wrong?

--
Ernesto Posse

Modelling and Analysis in Software Engineering
School of Computing
Queen's University - Kingston, Ontario, Canada