[Distutils] Need help with a usecase

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Apr 19 09:46:42 CEST 2011

On 18-04-11 16:32, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> My project (checked out from Git to be specific) comes with a
>> >  Distribute-based setup.py, and I'd like to install it into an isolated
>> >  Python environment. That is, the equivalent of running 'python
>> >  setup.py.install' in my project directory, but into an isolated environment.
>> >  I was hoping I could use Buildout for this.
> Your specific requirements is better matched by virtualenv.

It *is* possible with buildout in case you want to experiment :-)
Put this in your buildout.cfg:

[buildout]
develop = .
parts = scripts

[scripts]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = your-egg-name

Grab a bootstrap.py, run it and run bin/buildout.

The one thing that, to me, still is a big advantage of buildout over
virtualenv in cases like this: you can just run the scripts in bin/*
as-is. You do not need to activate the virtualenv beforehand.

For quick installs and try-outs I prefer virtualenv, though :-)

Reinout