[Distutils] pip vs easy_install vs distutils2

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon May 31 09:51:17 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 19:13, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> 1. We include easy_install or pip in stdlib. However, I think we
>> shouldn't include any installer in stdlib, until it has evolved into a
>> proper package handling utility which also can uninstall, etc.
>
> You are aware that pip uninstalls?

Not reliably, as it doesn't keep track of files, so it can't remove
anything installed outside of the package.

> It also queries PyPI, lists locally
> installed packages, etc. It at least has a start on most of the things
> one would want a "proper package handling utility" to do.

Absolutely.

> This sounds like a pip clone.

Indeed. I should have clarified that the name "pypi" I suggested was
to satisfy up Perl people claiming that Python don't have CPAN. ;-) I
decided against saying that to not make anyone upset, seems I failed.
I also did not suggest the inclusion of pip not not make easy_install
fans angry.

Seriously, all packaging people: You need to be less tetchy. Not every
single debate needs to result in a flame war. :-) I'm serious.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64