[Distutils] How to track performance improvements in my code?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:06:06 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 21:38, Matthew Wilson <matt at tplus1.com> wrote:

> I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
> cost of some code.
>
> I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
> after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or slower,
> and by how much.
>
> Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
> some tool that does this already exist?
>
> If it doesn't exist, how should I build it?

Since circumstances change, most importantly hardware, the only way to
be sure is to run the performance test on all versions on the same
machine (obviously while it's not doing anything else). A system that
can take a bunch of svn/hg/whatever tags, check them out build them,
and test them as a a big batch could be helpful.

Don't really see what it has to do with distutils...
http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64