[Distutils] setuptools passing arguments/settings to dependencies' dependencies

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 7 22:22:09 CEST 2010

At 04:03 PM 5/7/2010 -0400, Kent Bower wrote:

>>> actually being read, by setting the DISTUTILS_DEBUG environment
>>> variable to "yes", and then running "easy_install -v ." and
>>> observing the output.
>>>
>>>I've pasted the output here: http://pastebin.com/1it5XPAL
>>>
>>>Hopefully you can make sense of the output.
>>
>>Yep.  The issue isn't with installation-time dependencies, it's
>>build-time dependencies -- that's why I was confused.
>>
>>There was a change to how build-time dependencies are handled,
>>specifically intended to fix a different issue with Paste,
>>PasteScript, and PasteDeploy's dependencies on each other.
>>
>>My guess is that if you put eggs for those three packages in your
>>third-party directory, the problem (or at least the problem with
>>those three) would go away.
>I do have these three .tar.gz files in my thirdparty/ directory.  Do
>you mean I should try using the eggs instead and that would fix the
>problem because they won't need to be built, only installed?

Yes.  Install-time dependency behavior didn't change between c9 and
c11, and always should've worked.

>>However, I'll see if there's a way for "child" easy_install runs
>>(as used for build-time dependencies) to inherit the parent's
>>settings for things like --find-links, --index-url, and
>>--allow-hosts (but not options that would interfere with the child
>>install's options.
>
>A word of caution: I imagine there are use-cases where this is not
>the desired behavior.  That is, in some cases, perhaps it is
>desirable that the dependencies do *not* inherit the command line
>and setup.cfg settings from the parent?

I'm only referring to the options that control the locating of
dependencies for the easy_install command, so that build-time
dependencies are found from the same place as install-time
dependencies, during a subordinate build step.  That's a pretty
narrow range of options and conditions.  And the --find-links entries
will be merged with the parent's.  --index-url and --allow-hosts, on
the other hand, should always be the parent's settings, and it's
arguably a bug that they're not already being honored.

(Apparently, not enough packages are using build-time dependencies
for the problem to have been noticed and reported before now.)