[Distutils] Distutils 1.0a1 released

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu May 6 20:14:05 CEST 2010

2010/5/6 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> At 03:39 PM 5/6/2010 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> a find_packages() function. extracted from setuptools but that can
>> take several root paths.
>
> Darn.  I was really hoping that distutils2 would enforce a *single* root
> path for packages.  package_dir is an abomination that should die, die, die.
>  (IMO, anyway. ;-) )

Oh well, find_package() is just a helper for the package option. The
multi-root option
is to make it easier to add extra packages (like a third party package
incuded in the distro)

Now for the package_dir, option, I wouldn't mind removing it. I have
always hated it too.

If we just kill it, people will just have to provide packages relative
to the root,

I am +1 to remove package_dir

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org