[Distutils] Buildout: Version conflicts with system-wide libraries

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 01:16:41 CET 2010

Marius Gedminas wrote:
>   * edit a config file

I tend to create new mini-buildouts for this kind of thing...

>   * re-run buildout and wait 15 seconds longer than it would take
>     otherwise [1]

I believe you're looking for either -o, if you have the eggs already, or
the aforementioned mind buildout.cfg ;-)

> [2] admittedly, I could create a new empty config file, have it extend
>     buildout.cfg,

Why extend? If you're screwing around you only want a small set of eggs...

> Don't get the wrong impression; despite occasional frustrations,
> buildout is a good tool that does things virtualenv doesn't do, and I
> prefer to use buildout for all my Python packages once they stop being
> trivially simple.  Buildout's killer feature is the shared egg cache.

Right, I just wish it didn't have to build the monster sys.path[:]= and
have its own custom scripts when all you want is an interpreter ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk