[Distutils] repeatable and updatable virtualenv

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 10:35:02 CET 2010

Carl Meyer wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Okay, but I think you said at pycon that pip won't work with binary or
>> .egg distributions?
>
> True; IIUC the plan is to eventually support some form of binary package
> for Windows, but currently binary packages are not supported at all.

This is, quite frankly, ridiculous, and not just because of Windows.
So, say I produce a binary egg for mysqldb, pip's position appears to be
that I'm wrong, and I should have to make sure all the build
dependencies are present on my whole cluster of identical machines.
Same goes for lxml, and anything else with complex build dependencies.
Really, wtf? ;-)

> don't have the need for binary packages; if I did I imagine my first
> step would involve version-controlling a simple shell script using
> easy_install or something. Or if that became unwieldy I'd look to a
> buildout-based solution?

Right, so I guess I'm back to buildout...

>> Does it play nicely with multiple indexes, some of which may be private
>> and require http authentication?
>
> Multiple indexes, sure; you can replace PyPI or layer an additional
> index on top of it, or just use --find-links with a directory. HTTP auth
> I don't believe is supported, though I'm not completely sure; wouldn't
> be hard to add, pip just uses urllib2.

Hmm, but it's not there yes, and it is with buildout...

> Nothing goes inside my virtualenvs except code installed via pip. The
> virtualenv is a deployment artifact, not a folder container for my
> project. My project code checkout, any data files, anything I care about
> goes in its own location outside the virtualenv. I'm sure that does seem
> odd coming from a buildout background, but AFAICS there's no good reason
> to ever manually touch files inside the virtualenv directory, and lots
> of good reasons not to.

Yeah, I think this is just a style thing :-)

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk