[Distutils] Buildout: Version conflicts with system-wide libraries

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Mar 11 17:00:19 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Gustavo Narea
<gustavonarea at 2degreesnetwork.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my Ubuntu desktop, httplib2 v0.4.0 is installed system-wide because
> it's required by many things. However, I need to use v0.6.0 of that
> package in my Buildout-powered project.
>
> But when I run Buildout, I get this error:
> =====
> VersionConflict: (httplib2 0.4.0 (/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5),
> Requirement.parse('httplib2==0.6.0'))
> =====
>
> I've hit this problem before and what I had done is to remove the
> system-wide install, which I cannot do this time.
>
> There has to be a way for Buildout to ignore the global install, but I
> could not find the answer after reading the documentation.
>
> Can you please help me?

There isn't currently an option to get buildout to ignore
site-packages, although an option to do that is under review.

Many of us simply avoid using system Python installs.  I personally
always have clean Python installs, independent from system Python,
that I use for applications.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton