[Distutils] [buildout] buildout 1.5 sometime ever please?

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Tue Jul 13 11:53:55 CEST 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:59 AM, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> I'm testing out the beta branch

Thank you!

> and running into a problem. I'm running buildout from a virtualenv,
> and when I try to install the 'superlance' package, I get this:
>
>   The required version of setuptools (>=0.6c9) is not available, and
>   can't be installed while this script is running. Please install
>   a more recent version first, using 'easy_install -U setuptools'.
>
>   (Currently using setuptools 0.6c8 (/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages))
>   error: Setup script exited with 2
>
> This is despite the fact that I have 0.6c11 installed in the virtualenv. This seems to be caused
> by the fact that the buildout bin script has this:
>
>   import sys
>   sys.path[0:0] = [
>       '/tmp/ve/eggs/zc.buildout-1.5.0b2-py2.5.egg',
>       '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
>       ]
>
> And thus picks up the older version of setuptools in /usr/lib/python2.5. I tried removing those lines,
> but buildout seems to be re-creating that file when I run it.
>
> Any suggestions?

(1) This may be unrelated to your problem, but I have *not* added support for using a virtualenv without --no-site-packages, and AFAIK it was never supported.  It looks like you are not using --no-site-packages in your virtualenv, so I  don't support that.

(2) It looks like you are using an old bootstrap.  In addition to using the code from the svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.buildout/branches/gary-betafix/ branch (I guess you made your own release?), you also need to make sure you are using the bootstrap if you want to use the new feature without virtualenv.

That said, the old bootstrap should still work with virtualenv + the new release, and if it doesn't that's a reasonable backwards-compatibility bug.  I'll look into that later to see if that's the case.

Gary